Sunday, February 22, 2009

First Beach Trip



Most schools were closed this past Monday the 16th for President's Day but in Osceola County we close schools for Rodeo Day instead. So I had Friday off and was determined to get away and relax. I booked a ocean view room over in Melbourne Beach at the Hilton. Everything was looking great until 8 days out when I noticed the weather forecast. It said a cold front was making its way through central Florida and the temperature on Friday was going to be a high of 58 degrees! We waited a few days hoping the forecast would change but we were out of luck. I looked up my reservation info and realized I had purchased a nonrefundable room rate through Travelocity. I called them to try and see if we could possibly cancel and pay a cancellation fee. They told me I could cancel but the fee was the same price as the room. So, off we went.

I should have known from the start the trip was not going to be too successful. We waited for Steven to wake up from his morning nap before we left. Steven then proceeded to cry and whine the entire trip! Once we arrived we checked into our room. We went downstairs and had a drink in the lobby lounge while Steven ran around. Then we went down to the beach. It was very windy so we bundled Steven into his winter coat. (Didn't envision wearing it at the beach when I purchased it!) He loved walking in the sand and looking at the ocean. He even found some shells to pick up. On our way back inside we realized the pool was rather warm so we even took Steven into the pool for a quick dip. By this time Steven had missed his afternoon nap so I wasn't sure how the rest of the evening would unfold.

We decided to head out and grab a bite to eat at a casual restaurant. No sooner had we pulled out of the parking lot when Steven fell asleep. We drove around and let him sleep while looking at possible eateries. Ken notices this place called RJ Gators. (Bar and Grill) He suggested he would go inside and get some food to go while I waited in the car with Steven who was still sleeping. Well....Steven woke up screaming. He calmed down and we went inside to eat a basket full of grease and rubbery meat. Ken however loved it...said it was delicious...but how can you mess up frozed shrimp fried in a basket full of grease!

Once we returned to the hotel we tried unsuccessfully to get Steven to sleep. Finally I gave up. I was worried the neighbors were going to call and complain and so we decided to pack it up and head home. Yes.....I didn't get to sleep on the heavenly bed and order morning room service. The two things I soooooooo wanted to do.

The lesson from the experience....everything changes with children. Will we try it again???? At first I said NO WAY!!! but how is he to learn and how are we to learn as well. I think our next trip will be in March when my mom and brother come down. Wish us luck!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww...i can sympathize!

Lobsterfamilyof5 said...

maybe he needs more surprise activities to throw off his schedule. As hard as it may sound, he might need a little mix up every once in a while. Wish you would of had a better time at the beach. :)

Dave Long said...

Sounds like a great trip. We have learned too that if the boy isn't enjoying the vacation, no one enjoys the vacation. Sorry it went so bad -- makes for a good story though. The greasy bar food did sound good. Ken knows whats up with that.