Thursday, July 22, 2010

They Grow Up



A good friend and colleague once told me that Steven is a gift and it is my job as his parent to raise him to grow up and become loving, responsible, and an INDEPENDENT child. I have been trying my best to guide and teach him but I still have not spent a night away from him and he will be three years old in November. I know he has only had three people in his lifetime watch him; Ken, Me, and our Nanny. Well, last Spring we had him tested for speech and language services. He did not qualify but they did recommend having him attend a Mommy Day Out program or some type of structured school setting twice a week. This social interaction will build independence, social and motor skills, as well as increase the language. Ken and I had to make a difficult decision this summer and we decided to enroll Steven in the Disney YMCA Daycare. We love Nanny and will miss her so much. She was Steven's Second Mom and we are so grateful for all she has done for us!

Move forward....School. Well, we wanted to make a slow transition to daycare so we started him this week. He has been going for 1/2 days and when we return from Alabama we will leave him for the full time. We have been talking about it, bought new shoes, and a Thomas backpack for the special transition.

The first day was a little touchy....we had to wake him up early from his nap to go during his scheduled time. The pictures will tell the whole story.






Day two....he cried and said, "I want to go hoooommmeeee!" Ken decided that was the perfect time for him to exit so I stayed and waited a little longer until he wasn't so nervous. I picked him up and his teacher said he is doing awesome. He even gave her a hug today!!! Ken on the other hand....it may take a little longer!

No comments: