Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Stomach Virus
We have had the most horrible stomach virus this week. It started on Friday morning (12:30) with Steven. He had thrown up in his crib and then two more times before morning. I took him to the Dr. on Friday morning and they told me it was a virus, give him pedialyte until the vomit ting stops and then combine it with his formula. Steven took the pedialyte at first and then refused to drink it even mixed so I gave him regular formula instead but he was eating very little. Then early Saturday early evening Ken started to complain that he wasn't feeling well. He went to lie down and then he too had the horrible bug. Next was Amber and then came me. I have never experienced a stomach bug like this before all while caring for three others. Amber was feeling much better on Sunday. I was o.k. but Steven and Ken were still out of commission. I was monitoring Steven closely for dehydration as the diarrhea was horrible. He started to eat even less, had few tears and was very irritable. Amber and I took him that evening to an after hours pediatric clinic. He was dehydrated and needed an IV of fluids. For any mommy or daddy out there who has not experienced their child getting an IV you are lucky. It is one of the most heart wrenching things to watch. I thought vaccinations were tough but this was worse. Poor Amber, it was breaking her heart watching Steven scream. Once he got his fluids he started to look and feel better. I was hopeful. We got home and Ken was still out of commission. So on Monday I took Steven back to his Pediatrician for a follow-up after receiving the fluids. She told me it was a virus, etc, etc. Later we had to take Ken to a walk-in clinic to seek medical attention because his condition wasn't improving either. He too received an IV with fluids and a shot for nausea. Today I was going to be hopeful......yesterday Steven ate 20 oz of formula and had only 2 BM's. However this morning.......three BM's by 8:30. He has had 6 ozs. and ate 1/2 jar of applesauce without gagging or throwing it up (yet). I was hoping to get some relief from Ken today but he says he is still out of commission. I knew raising a family away from our own family was going to be hard but during times like this it is extremely difficult. My nerves are shot, I'm exhausted, and need to get out of this house. Pray for us please that everyone will be healthy but the end of the week and pray that you and your family will not get this ugly virus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Consider yourselves prayed for.
;-)
Jon
Also, be sure to report back when Ken's BMs return to normal, too.
Pyke is so funny. Seriously, I hope things get better. I didn't know the whole story, so it's good to get the full update. Hang in there! And seriously, Dave can come down if you get desperate. Grandparents here can watch Law.
Bless your heart. I have experienced this and it is terrible. One bout was in the middle of winter and when everyone was finally well I opened every window in the house and we left for 12 hours!I will be thinking of you and keep you in my prayers.
I was thinking of hiring a cleaning service to come in on Thursday or Friday and completely clean the entire house while we get out!!!
just noticed the new bio on the blog. i like it. ;)
this too shall pass. At lease these things don't happen all the time. Good job Mommy! you handled and and who says a trip tp the dentist isn't a wish come true. :) you are too funny. When everyone gets better. Take a break a goooood one, longer than the dentist! luv ya
Pyke--Ken is All Clear!! He doesn't like his bowls of rice and plain noodles but his butt sure does.
Post a Comment